-- Decide if you want a desktop or laptop / notebook PC. Desktops can be more powerful, but are portable notebook PCs
-- Decide how much you want to spend approximately
-- Decide what is going to use for the PC. You do not need a powerful system especially if you're only going to browse the Web, send e-mails
-- Read some tips buying computer magazines like PC What? PC Advisor and Personal Computer World
-- Talk to friends, relatives and colleagues about what they do PC they use, when it was purchased and their experiences Selling points
Where To Buy?
High street stores may seem the most obvious place for the first time PC buyers, but despite that offer some advantages (for example, be able to see and touch example PC and get an idea of screen size ) That are not always good value and you may find yourself spending more than you need. Often the person sales also trying to sell packages of warranty. These may provide some peace of mind, including things like health checks and repairs, but if you look after your PC and maintain its security software updated, you will most likely never use the service and were paid a lot of extra money for nothing. You could try small local computer shops which often can develop a PC package that suits their needs accurate, although you can find prices much higher than the standard packages offered by high street shops. For the first time buyers a package standard often seems much simpler than trying to find out specific types of components you need. Buying online is often the best option, although obviously there is a need to find some way of getting on the Internet (for a friend's PC or at your local library), and then begin the process of finding online stores and compare prices and packages. As with any large purchase you make, you will want to be prudent and take all the facts in front of you before making a decision.
What to look for
Often, when I read about PC packages that are faced with an enormous list of specifications that mean nothing to you if you do not have much knowledge of computers. Some companies may try to confuse you with technical details, hoping mentioning large enough numbers to those who think the PC is better than what it really is. Specifications vary all the time, their needs and determine what size or speed of the components are right for you. The following is a general guide with tips on what to look for.
Notebook or desktop
- the type of computer you need depends on how powerful your machine needs to be and if you want to be able to do the job moving. Desktops are often more powerful than the notebook / laptop computers for the same price, but the latter have the advantage of being portable and much less access to space. Shop for desktop PCs at Amazon.com Shop at Amazon.com for Notebook PC
- it is important to check this is mentioned because although this may seem like an essential part of a desktop PC system, some packages may not include one. TFT (flat screen) monitors are common today because of how they are thin compared with the old bulky CRT monitors. When you buy a monitor you want the highest resolution, which gives a more detailed and sharper. In a resolution of 1280x1024 should be fine for most users. Response time is also important - the lower the number, the better. Store Monitors at Amazon.com
Keyboard & Mouse
- all teams must include these and there is often little difference between the different models. One thing to note is that some have more than just the left and right buttons on the mouse - often also include a wheel in the centre which can be a useful addition. Today you can also get wireless keyboards and mice. If you want to use a mouse with your notebook PC you may need to buy separately, as many laptops use a touch pad system instead of a mouse. Store Keyboards and Mice at Amazon.com
- the shell of the desktop PC contains all the components that make their system work, including the processor, memory and hard disk. You must verify the number of USB ports are included, as you will need for each connecting peripherals such as scanners and printers. Store Tower units at Amazon.com
- the heart of your PC, this is the engine that powers your computer and processes all the instructions given, therefore, we wish to make it as fast as possible. The higher processor speed (GHz), the faster your PC should be. Dual-Core Technology now offers even greater speed. Examples include Intel Pentium or Celeron and Sempron or Athlon. Store processors at Amazon.com
- the computer's temporary memory used to make its calculations. The more RAM you have, the more rapid and efficient programmes will be implemented. Look at least 512 MB or 1 GB of RAM. Store RAM at Amazon.com
- where all your programs and data are stored. As usual, more is better. At least 100 GB or more will be needed to store large amounts of music, games or movie files. Space on the hard drive is relatively cheap, and there are also external drives available that can connect to add more memory. Hard Drives Store at Amazon.com
- handles video and show the calculations. One card more powerful means better quality video and graphics smooth running game. Most popular are the NVidia GeForce cards and ATI Radeon series. Another thing to note is that the graphics card also has its own RAM, and once again the best of the best. Store Graphics Cards at Amazon.com
- most of the PC should include sound pretty decent to play music or video, but you can opt for a better quality of sound cards, such as the Creative Audigy series which will improve the sound quality and performance films and demanding games. Shop for sound cards at Amazon.com
- 2 normal desktop speakers should be fine for most users, but the games the players may want to invest in larger configurations as 5.1 (5 small satellite speakers and 1 large subwoofer to handle the bass). Shop for speakers at Amazon.com
CD / DVD-ROM
- plays CD / DVD discs including data, music CDs and DVD movies. The higher the speed, faster files will be loaded from the disk, but will depend on the speed limit on the disc itself. '16x ', For example, means it can transfer data from disk to 16 times the normal speed of play. Store DVD at Amazon.com
CD / DVD R / RW Writer / Burner Drive
- as with CD / DVD-ROM, but also can write or 'burn' discs as well as read them. This way you can create your own data, music or video discs, especially useful for backups of large amounts of data. There are two main categories of discs writing: Recordable, such as CD-R or DVD-R or DVD + R discs are that can only be written once and re-write disks, CD-RW or DVD-RW or DVD + RW can be written many times more. Store DVD recorder Drives at Amazon.com
- the Microsoft Windows operating system is included with most PCs. Since 2001, Windows XP has been the version for home users, but 2007 saw the launch of its successor Windows Vista. Shop at Amazon.com for Windows
- some packages include office suites, security programs, creation of DVDs, games and entertainment software. Software Store at Amazon.com
- many packages come with free Internet trials, but can choose another lender if you find a better offer. To access the Internet from home is required to connect your PC to your phone line. There should be instructions with your PC how to do this. There are many types of packages available on the Internet, and some will have to buy additional equipment. For more information, contact an ISP (Internet Service Provider) or visit its website.
- modern PCs often come with a supporting role Wireless, which lets you connect to any wireless Internet network within the limits. If not, wireless adapters can be purchased separately.
You can usually replace and update your PC components in the future if it decides it needs more memory or a faster graphics card, for example. And you can always upgrade or buy new software if it is included programs too limited to their needs. Website sales of PCs There are many websites that sell PCs, including:
Related Tips Upgrading hardware devices Ask an expert